Denver HSPs
Please log in or register.
Denver HSPs
Please log in or register.
Denver HSPs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Denver HSPs

A human creature born abnormally, inhumanely sensitive.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Am I an HSP?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jae Baeli
Admin
Jae Baeli

Am I an HSP? Empty
PostSubject: Am I an HSP?   Am I an HSP? EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 8:37 pm

Are you highly sensitive? You can find out by taking The Self-Test. This test, the result of empirical research on the trait, gives you a good sense of what high sensitivity is, as well. To see if your child is highly sensitive there is another checklist.

If you find you are highly sensitive, or your child is, you need to begin by knowing the following:

Am I an HSP? 1103844028 Your trait is normal. It is found in 15 to 20% of the population--too many to be a disorder, but not enough to be well understood by the majority of those around you.
Am I an HSP? 1103844028 It is innate. In fact, biologists have found it to be in most or all animals, from fruit flies and fish to dogs, cats, horses, and primates. This trait reflects a certain type of survival strategy, being observant before acting. The brains of highly sensitive persons (HSPs) actually work a little differently than others'.
Am I an HSP? 1103844028 You are more aware than others of subtleties. This is mainly because your brain processes information and reflects on it more deeply. So even if you wear glasses, for example, you see more than others by noticing more.
Am I an HSP? 1103844028 You are also more easily overwhelmed. If you notice everything, you are naturally going to be overstimulated when things are too intense, complex, chaotic, or novel for a long time.
Am I an HSP? 1103844028 This trait is not a new discovery, but it has been misunderstood. Because HSPs prefer to look before entering new situations, they are often called "shy." But shyness is learned, not innate. In fact, 30% of HSPs are extraverts, although the trait is often mislabeled as introversion. It has also been called inhibitedness, fearfulness, or neuroticism. Some HSPs behave in these ways, but it is not innate to do so and not the basic trait.
Am I an HSP? 1103844028 Sensitivity is valued differently in different cultures. In cultures where it is not valued, HSPs tend to have low self-esteem. They are told "don't be so sensitive" so that they feel abnormal.

How do I explain it to others?

You can say,
“This is a normal biological individual difference in personality and physiology inherited by about 15 to 20% of just about all higher animals. Those with this trait notice more subtleties and process information more deeply.”

You can also add, or not, that “anyone noticing more subtleties would logically also have to be more easily overwhelmed than others by prolonged, intense, or chaotic sound, sights, etc.”

Am I an HSP? 1050834305
Back to top Go down
http://jaebaeli.com

Am I an HSP?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Denver HSPs :: Orientation & Information :: Defining HSP-
Jump to: